Sunday, March 29, 2009

Yo yo yo yo yoga...

I have been wanting to go to a yoga class for months. I don't know exactly what was keeping me. Fear? Insecurity? Uncertainty?
Oh yeah. All of the above.
I also thought perhaps I wouldn't fit in--that I would be a distraction! I am not the most limber person on Earth and I was afraid I might not be able to hold the positions or fall over! But so many of my friends have raved about the benefits of yoga--a toned body, loss of weight, increase in strength, amazing balance, and a sense of calm and well being--that I felt like it was time for me to try.
I desire all of those things. And more.
Here's the deal. I've absolutely run out of excuses to not exercise. I don't have anyone waiting at home for me. I don't have kids to cart around. My house is clean and my laundry is done. Actually I have nothing but free time. And I live a half mile from the gym.
And (from what I remember) I love being in shape!
So I went to Yoga class tonight.
My fears and insecurities were calmed immediately. I grabbed a mat and positioned myself in the back of the class. I began to stretch as I watched the people come in. I was not the largest person there, by far. I was not even close to being the oldest. And, once the class began, I realized that I was not nearly the least coordinated or inflexible. There was no pressure to perform, and, although I came close, I didn't even once fall over!
In fact, I did pretty well. It was an amazing workout and it felt soooo good!
So good, that I signed up to go to Pilates tomorrow morning.
...that is if I'm able to move.

4 comments:

Zuzana said...

I have always wanted to do yoga as well, but I feel that I do not have the time.
Happy that you enjoyed your class;))
And thank you for those kind words in your mail.;))

Gina Vistaunet said...

I love yoga. I am the most unlimber person in America so you can't be worse than me. I'm so glad you liked it. Pilates is a little harder, but your body will look fantastic (like mine) real quickly.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, you're a much better person than me. (So are you, Gina!) I hate yoga (and pilates, and aerobics, and the gym . . . . )

Online Roulette said...

Bravo, your idea simply excellent