Thursday, March 26, 2009

Unpacking...

I have a thing for suitcases and have quite a few displayed throughout my home. They are symbolic of so many things to me---travel, adventure, a new journey ahead--and I love how you can close it up and take it with you. They also always remind me of how very little I really need when I go on a trip.
Having returned so late Monday night from Arizona, I didn't feel like unpacking when I got home. Instead, over the last few days, I have just been taking out what I need, as I need it...and then putting it away in the right place. The dirty clothes. My makeup. A couple of pair of socks. Last night I took out my jammies and a t-shirt. Today the last few items were taken out of the suitcase. Some were hung, some folded in a drawer, a few belong under the sink. My Camelback souvenir pennant and magnet are waiting on the kitchen table...I will find a place for them tomorrow.
Four days later, the suitcase is empty--the clothes and items from the Arizona trip finally put away. It will be ready to be filled again--with different items--when the next trip approaches.
I couldn't help but kinda see this as an analogy for my life. My 'suitcase' was full to the brim with stuff from my former life. Over the last four years I have slowly 'unpacked' all of this, being careful to put everything in its proper place. It's taken a little longer than I thought it would--and there are a few things that are not quite in the right place yet--but I'm getting there. Everything has been unpacked. The baggage has been handled, sorted, and put away.

And the suitcase is ready to be filled again. Ready for travel, adventure and new journeys.
I just need to figure out where I'm headed.

2 comments:

Zuzana said...

What a beautiful symbolism; about unpacking and putting away the past. I am happy everything is sorted out and you are ready for another trip of a lifetime.;)
Have a great TGIF Julie.;))

Eliane said...

I really like this blog... we definitively love suitcases!!!