Thursday, May 12, 2011

Thoughts to those who are (a little) younger...

One of the GREAT benefits of being (a little) older is the incredible perspective that seems to come with each added year. You've heard people say 'If I knew then what I know now...'
Well I know (a little) more now.
Here's (a little) Julie Hibbard wisdom for you...

1. You're gonna live through it. You may want to lay down and die. But you probably won't die. Get up, dust yourself off, and go back to living. Seriously. I don't necessarily believe that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, but you will start to know how very much you are able to endure and you will grow to learn that pain, however inevitable, is not fatal.
2. It's the things that you DON'T DO that you will regret. A trip you should have taken, the day you could have called in sick to see your team clinch the division. The concert you didn't want to pay 100 bucks for. THOSE DAYS don't come back folks! LIVE a little. No, live A LOT! Truly think about what you will remember 5 or 10 years from now. And, when choosing between doing something you can do anytime OR a once in a lifetime chance--that should be a no-brainer. I was not in the senior class play--I was asked to be the lead! I didn't want to be away from my boyfriend all those nights for practice. Honestly, I have regretted it for more than 30 years.
3. Don't stay home and wait for his phone call. I understand that with cell phones these days you don't actually stay home and wait. But you are waiting, huh? How about a trip to Paris in the mean time? He may call, but let him make the move. Or, perhaps it's time to consider the fact that the relationship may have just run its course. That's OK! Let go! Move on! Please trust me on this: Do not make someone your priority when he has made you his option.
4. Expectations are planned disappointments. Go with the flow and open yourself up to the possibilities that lie ahead. Be curious about the future! And ENJOY THE HAPPY ALONG THE WAY. This is something that has literally taken me a lifetime to realize. You are allowed--and ENCOURAGED!--to enjoy the moment. You don't have to plan everything.
5. The choices you make between ages 18-24 will have life-long consequences--good or bad. Choose wisely! Listen to your friends! Ask lots of questions! Don't be afraid to back out or say no or change your mind! Honestly, while walking down the aisle on my wedding day, I wanted to run the other way. I was 18. I often wonder how different my life would have been had I done so. Life long consequences from a decision I made as a teenager.
6. Finish school. Travel. Try all 31 flavors! You will never meet anyone who wishes they hadn't graduated college. Or seen the Eiffel Tower. Or tried Pralines and Cream or Cherries Garcia! You know my story--I graduated from college a week after my 37th birthday. I am STILL proud of myself for that one. I have seen the Eiffel Tower a few times now. Takes my breath away every time. And, well, I've tried all 31 flavors--and many others--with 31 different toppings, whipped cream, cherries, nuts...you name it! and I've loved every second of it!
7. Love people. Relationships (especially with your family) are truly the only things that matter in the end. Who would you call in the middle of the night when your car breaks down? Hopefully you can name a few people quickly. If not, start loving on people. And have someone in your life who you can call if you end up in jail...someone who will save the lecture for a later time.
8. Helping to make other people happy is the only way to really be happy. Remember people's names. Their kids names. Their dog's name. Their birthday. Their favorite vodka. I promise you that life is so great when you know and love and have deep friendships. It's what gets you up off the floor, into the shower and back into life. Often, literally.
9. Life is long. It goes by slowly. Which means you have LOTS of time to better yourself and better the world. My real advice? Turn off the TV and go out and LIVE life. Take a class, take a hike (no, a real one) take a friend to dinner, take a break from your normal routine and spice up your life a little! I tell ya, it CAN be enjoyed every single day!
10. Have a job you love. Find that job. Keep it. If you love your job, life will be easier. It's that simple. I have been constantly employed since I was 14 and always loved my job...I have always found JOY in being at work. If you LOVE where you spend that 1/3 of your life...the other 2/3 will be more enjoyable as well. I promise.
Smile! Laugh! Have fun! Life is good!
Enjoy it every step of the way.
I am.
Join me!

3 comments:

BUM said...

Sounds like the perfect recipe for a good life!!!!!

carrie d. said...

I love it all. thank you!

BUM said...

You should write a book! Such insite!!!