Thursday, May 26, 2011

Wonder woman

I am a bonafide, certified, absolute over-thinker. I dissect, analyze, re-analyze, re-think and rehash the conversations, thoughts, words, actions and outcomes of every single thing that goes on in my life. I seem to look for the underlying meaning in even the simplest of things.
I wonder (read: process and figure out all day, lay awake and think of all night) about relationships, new tires, taxes, graduations, my checking account balance, the stock market, the lingering Nordstrom bill, my son's new career, my Spa vacation next week (where I will have to wear a bathing suit), the decision to purchase another home, the damn Dodgers, Father's Day, the fact that George Clooney is still single, diet coke causing cancer, the dwindling hours at work, the approaching June birthdays, my dying plants on the patio, the price of gas, my sink full of dishes, my sisters and their kids, Allison going back to Kenya, and the 10 pounds that I lose and find over and over and over again...
Yeah...and men. I do think about men.
I don't sleep very much...never have. (Thankfully, never really needed it either!)
Nope, I just play out scenarios in my head. What could happen, what can't happen, what I wish would happen.
Why doesn't something happen?

And then, gratefully, it's time to get up. As soon as I hear the coffee 'beep' in the kitchen, I'm out of bed.
And so I get up and shower and go to work. And then I come home and go for a walk and pay my bills and catch up on Facebook and clean my house and call my mother and blog and journal and email my investment guy, and do laundry and consider loans and unload the dishwasher and send out graduation cards and text my kids and water my plants and make a salad and grab a beer and turn on the Dodger game...and then go to bed and think all night.
I haven't ever known how to be still. Never.
It's a wonder I am not crazy.
Actually I wonder if maybe I am.
I'm headed to work now.
I wonder if maybe I'm just bored.
All this time you thought I was Wonder Woman...
nope...
just wonder woman.

2 comments:

138 said...

I love the play on words. The setup in your story is perfect and the ending makes me say "perfect."Writing is easy, writing well is difficult!! You really need to explore the possibility of expanding your audiance. I know I would be the first to ask for a signed copy. As always, hungry for more.

Sonja said...

Sink full of dishes??? Not at your house.