Friday, February 9, 2007

Yes, I have a tattoo


Two years ago this week, I got this big, giant, colorful tattoo. Why? Because I always wanted one. Because all of my sisters have one. Because I was rebelling. Maybe I was looking for something permanent in my otherwise very temporary life at the time. Just plain stupidity. There's MORE to the story, but that's most of the reasons. And let me add, it was supposed to be about 1/2 the size that it ended up being. I have loved it, hated it, forgotten about it, screamed about it, cried about it, laughed about it and showed it off. The question NOW is...should I have it removed?
I have been looking into all the different kinds of tattoo removal treatments. Painful, time consuming and unbelievably expensive and extensive treatments. Removal by laser is the most effective, but costs nearly 10 times what the original tattoo cost, PLUS it takes 3 to 6 months of weekly treatments. Sounds painful in so many ways. I found a lotion online that is applied to the tattoo daily and actually makes your skin allergic to the ink, thus causing your body to slowly secrete it. Sounds attractive, huh? I can already imagine what my clothes and sheets will look like.
Honestly, because of the location of the tattoo, I go weeks without seeing it or even thinking about it. NOBODY at work ever believes that I have a tattoo, and are shocked when I reveal the gigantic four-color body art. (I know they think I am going to show them a tiny heart or a little flower.)There are days when I see it in the mirror and just cringe! I literally yell, "Julie Hibbard, what were you thinking?"
But then, of course, there are the days when I just love it, and wish that I could get a closer look at it. And days when I hope someone sees a little bit of it at the store or in a restaurant. There are actually a few good memories attached to the tattoo including the retelling of the three painful (yet entertaining) hours at "Sid's" that February afternoon. I swear it hurt more than giving birth. I was so very happy that day, yet getting the tattoo is something I have often regretted.
Funny thing is, today was one of those days when I looked at it, and smiled, and thought...Gosh, it IS beautiful...I think I'll keep it.
And blog about it.

7 comments:

Insured Asset Solutions said...

I was thinking of getting one too in a discrete location that would say, "Welcome to Jamaica, have a nice day!"

Andrew said...

Keep it. Behind every tattoo is a story and/or testimony, as does yours. It's not like you got a skull and crossbones or something like what Brian wants; that might be cause for removal.

Cathi said...

What does it say?

Brent said...

Keep it. It's part of you. You'll never forget the story.

Alanna Moine said...

why do you want to remove it. I say keep it.

Julie Hibbard said...

The heart in the middle says "JC"
and around it says,
"Mio Battito di Cuore"
which means, "My heartbeat" in Italian...

blythe said...

i think you should keep it, because:
1) you said you hardly see it yourself
2) no one else ever sees it
3) you had always wanted one when you got it
4) it's a healthy form of rebellion, if you ask me
5) it gives you cool points in my book. wish my mom were cool enough to get a tattoo
and
6) you'd probably miss it, eventually, in some roundabout way.