Sunday, September 18, 2011

So close(t)...

Above--Closets before...(one, long, sagging pole--totally inefficient use of the space.)
Below--Closet after (shelving and double levels--completely effective and organized!)


I think, today, between cleaning and organizing and taking (yet another) trip to Goodwill, I realized why I am enjoying life so very much these days--I am not only being constantly productive, but I am SEEING the fruits of my labor every single day.
And they are becoming my home.


(Below--My SWEET new roll-top desk!)
When I bought my other home, the previous owners had completely renovated, put in wood floors, painted and upgraded everything--and then they got transferred out of state. I bought the house and all I had to do was move in. I loved it, of course, but I didn't have anything to do with the process of making it beautiful.

This last month has been a whole new world for me...a completely different 'move in' experience from the last time. This house was basically abandoned...neglected...depreciated, despised and discarded. I felt sadness for the house--it was in need of so much work. So much!
And I told the house (and myself!) that it was going to be ok.
And it is.
In fact, it's been more than ok! It's been a complete JOY.
I have LOVED having my friends here to help me clean, paint, fix lights, dispose of dead rats, build shelves, eat pizza, drink beer and ENJOY the house while it's in process of becoming my home.
Sure, there aren't any mirrors in the bathrooms (they have yet to be painted), no pictures on the walls...and not one doorknob to be found in the entire place...and, yes, my American Express Card is at its limit for the first time in my life...and, yep, I probably won't have living room furniture until 2013...
but I SWEAR to you...I have never been happier in my life.

I am watching this house become more beautiful, more lovely and FEELING it become more enjoyable--every single day.
I have never felt such a sense of accomplishment...and pride.

I feel more at home than I ever have before.
And, damn, this house is SOOO happy!

3 comments:

Zuzana said...

Dear Julie, it is so good to read about your happiness.;) It seems that you and this house were made for each other.;)
xoxo

robin_brown_62 said...

The closet looks great! It does feel good to be organized! I also LOVE the roll top desk.

md said...

I am so glad that your house is So Close to being practically completely happy. 138