Monday, September 12, 2011

Six months left to live...

(This is a re-run from just a few months ago...but it was amazingly appropriate to re-post after a conversation with a dear friend today.)

We were talking at work the other day...and the subject of mortality came up. Actually the question asked was, "What if you found out you had six months left to live--what would you do?" Some folks thought carefully. Some got tears in their eyes. Phrases like, "I'd call all my friends and tell them I love them..." and "I'd make peace with my sisters..." came out of some peoples' mouths. "I'd quit my job immediately!" came from someone else. Others said they would need to think about it. Me? I spouted my list off very quickly.
So, the doctor tells me I'm gonna die in six months. Here's exactly what I do:

1. Stop for donuts on the way home from the doctor's office. I'll be sure to let the owners know that I will be stopping here every single day for the next six months. Please have lots of Apple Fritters, Cinnamon Rolls and Maple Old Fashions available. (Note: I freaking love donuts and have literally not had one in 10 years or more.)
2. Go buy the Porsche 911 Turbo. Blue please. (Yeah, I should lease it!)
3. Drive over to work and let them know that it's been real. As much as I love it, I'm not spending my last six months running around a hotel. Unless it's in Italy.
4. Stop by The Original Pancake House to have a Dutch Baby and a side of bacon.
(Make that TWO sides of bacon, please. And I'm not sharing the Dutch Baby ever again.)
5. Find out where the Dodgers are playing next weekend and fly there for the games. Might follow them around for a few weeks visiting every city they're playing in. Seats will be behind home plate of course. I will also make a few phone calls and find a way to meet Vinnie and throw out the first pitch before I go. Yes, I can make it happen.
6. Take my whole family--kids, sisters, nieces nephews, parents--to Hawaii for a few weeks. Take a final trip to NYC with Allison--go to Yankee games, every single show on Broadway and literally eat my way through the Big Apple.
7. Skydive. Bungee jump. (What the hell, right?)
8. Make it a quest to find the World's Best PEACH, APPLE and BOYSENBERRY COBBLER! Yes, I will have to try it in every city and town that I am in for the next six months and I am up to the challenge. Warm with ice cream, please.
9. Eat bread and butter every day. And pasta. Have a big bowl of granola and bagels with honey and cinnamon every night! Carbs will be my best friend at this point...til death do us part.
10. Plan to spend the last couple of months in Europe, starting with Sicily and the Amalfi Coast. (Constant canolis and Chianti...) Octoberfest in Germany. (Beer, brats and more bread!) A little time in Paris and dinner one last time on the Eiffel Tower. (Champagne, crepes and chocolate!)

Before my final days I'll make a donation to Allison's Kenyan Ministries and settle all my financial affairs. I'll call Goodwill to get the rest of my possessions...you'll have to let me know if you want anything! (The Bobby Sherman lunch pail is already spoken for.)
And, I'll plan an amazing 'going away' party for myself. You're invited.

One thing for sure...I will die with a great big smile on my big fat face!
Kinda sounds like an adventure, really.
The only way to go.

1 comment:

md said...

When I was a kid we never got donuts unless my grandmother showed up on a Sunday (which wasn't very often.) When she did, she would bring donuts and my favorites were the Maple Old Fashions and Maple Long Johns. 138