Saturday, July 9, 2011

Bobby loves Julie


The only thing I love more than baseball is music--if there is not a game on in my house, iTunes is definitely blaring! And, since the Dodgers played (and amazingly won) earlier this afternoon, tonight I put the iPad on 'shuffle' as I did a little baking and worked around the house. About 10 songs in, I stopped what I was doing and tears welled in my eyes...Bobby Sherman was in my kitchen belting out, "Julie, do ya love me?"!
I haven't heard it in YEARS and I gotta tell ya, it is undoubtedly my favorite song of all time.
I was five years old when the song came out, and I vividly remember my dad bringing home the single for me....it was my very first 45 record! I listened to that song over and over and over--until I actually wore out the needle on my record player (does anyone remember replacing needles?!) I KNEW Bobby Sherman was singing that song to me! I remember CRYING the day I found out that he was married. I was 8.
Of course I still have that single--and the jacket with Bobby's beautiful picture on it. (I keep it in my Bobby Sherman lunch pail.) I actually have all my old 45s and all my old albums. Unfortunately, I no longer have a turn table....I'd probably wear out the needle anyway.
But, thanks to the iPad, tonight, in my kitchen, Bobby and I danced and sang together LOUDLY... "oh oh oh Julie Julie Julie, do ya love me? Ahhh, Julie Julie Julie do ya care? Julie Julie are ya thinking of me? Julie Julie will ya still be there?"

I don't care what you say...tonight, I know he was singing to me.

3 comments:

PETE Di LALLO said...

Super song...hard to forget it...
but dude couldn't sing!!!

TSHarrison said...

Music MORE than baseball?
I believe that's blaspheme.
How are we even friends?

Julie Hibbard said...

It's a REALLY close tie, Trevor!