Friday, June 5, 2009

Not very UP

**SPOILER ALERT***
I just got back from seeing UP.
Hmmm...
Let's see, I cried through much of it and was saddened by the majority of it. What was sad? Well, to start with, there's a miscarriage and subsequent tragic realization that the main character's wife is barren. Then there are the multiple financial problems and personal issues that the character's face which cause them to reluctantly put off pursuing their dreams. Oh, then there is the wife's time in a long term care facility, her premature death and the heart broken man's attendance at her funeral. Yes! Then the elderly man is forced from his home, pushed to violent behavior, arrested, and taken to court. Oh yeah!
And that's all in the first 15 minutes or so.
After that, it seemed to me that there was nothing but anger, violence, cruelty and a main focus of unfulfilled dreams. Did it have a happy ending? Well, if finding out that your childhood hero is a murdering psychopath who is ready to kill you as well--and then watching HIM die--is a happy ending...then yes.
I'm sorry if I missed something, but UP was a DOWNER for me.
As soon as we left the theater, we immediately found our way to a Margarita, a basket of chips and a big bowl of guacamole. Definitely cheered us UP.

4 comments:

Zuzana said...

I guess this movie will not be on my must see list then. I am sorry it was a bad experience for you, hopefully the margaritas did the trick.;)
Have a wonderful weekend.;)
xo

Anonymous said...

I've heard a lot of people say the same thing about this movie.

SarahD said...

Why is it a cartoon???
Brainwashing our kids to expect very little from their lives???
I might not go see this.

Anonymous said...

Ok I loved the movie! I enjoyed every tear I shed and every smile and laugh I had. I looked over to the chair on my right and saw Joe, my 7 year old, with a HUGE grin. To sum it up, I loved it, Dave loved and Joe said it was the best movie he has seen this summer, he loved it. I give it "2" thumbs "UP"

Your Arizona Cousin
ROBIN