Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Energy Crisis

Yesterday, as I was getting ready to go to dinner with my family, the electricity went off at my home. It was so odd...it was only 5pm, so it wasn't dark outside but it was incredibly dark in my house! I heard some noise out front and, sure enough, three large SCE trucks were out there working, so I knew it was not just my home and just came back in to get ready...or so I thought.
It was SO strange...I went into my bathroom and flipped the light switch...and thought, "Duh Julie!" But it didn't stop there...I went into my closet, and flipped the light switch...DOUBLE DUH! My closet is pitch black--even in the middle of the day and I had a hard time finding what I wanted to wear. I had no where to put on my makeup as both my bathrooms are window-less and very dark without the lights on--I never realized that!
As I kinda started to be scattered in getting ready, I glance at the clock on my dresser. Gone. I actually ran to the kitchen to look at the microwave, stove, coffee maker--NO CLOCKS! I opened the fridge to grab a diet coke (dark inside) and grabbed my cell phone so I could see the time.
The smoke detectors were all chirping, the cordless phones were beeping...it was CRAZY!
Ready to go, but with a bit of time left, I didn't even TRY to turn on the TV (tho, I admit, I glanced at the cable box to see the time--not there!) I grabbed my computer thinking that I could at least email and read blogs...nope. I could have created a powerpoint presentation or a word doc but there is NO INTERNET without electricity!! For the love of God--I need electricity! Then it REALLY hit me. How could I get my car out of the garage without the garage door opener?? And, Allison's very large gift was in the back of my car!
Thankfully, my friend was coming to meet me and she was able to drive...but I had to go into my VERY DARK garage and retrieve Allison's gift out of the car.
Of course I hit the button to open the garage as I went in there...

1 comment:

PETE Di LALLO said...

Do you have a flashlight?