Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Mea Culpa

At breakfast this morning, my friend and I began to talk about our faults. Though both of us are tremendously wonderful people (as well as quite modest and oh so humble) we sat for a few minutes trying to figure out what the (somewhat) negative aspects of our personalities might be.
We couldn't come up with much...especially for each other.
But, of course, on the way home, notebook and pen in hand, I quickly came up with a list of things that I believe just might be a few of my faults. OK, the list was long...but, honestly, they are all things I have worked on--and continue to work on. Admitting it is the first step, right?
Here goes:
  1. I cuss WAY too much. It's really not funny and FAR beyond excusable. The 'F' word is nothing but an adjective to me and is used to describe everything from the weather to the stock market to the f*cking Dodgers! I need a damn thesaurus. (oops)
  2. I can be extremely defensive. If you tell me that I am doing something wrong or that I made a bad decision or even that the American League is better than the National--I can become defensive. I am constantly working on this one because I truly value your input in my life.
  3. I interrupt people. In my defense (joke), let me tell you, my brain never stops. I have so much to say and I want to be sure you don't miss it! I am REALLY aware of this and PROMISE to get better at keeping my mouth shut while you're talking.
  4. I am quite often too nice. I tend to try to avoid confrontation. I don't say what I really want to say sometimes because I don't want to hurt anyone or make anyone sad...and, admittedly, so they will like me. Believe me, being too nice can come back and bite you in the ass--hard! I will say that over the last few years I have improved in this area drastically--I now know that there is a big difference between being nice and being totally manipulated.
  5. On the flip side of that, I'll admit that I can be impatient, intolerant and totally lack compassion when it comes to people who are lazy, passive, apathetic, tardy, negligent, lethargic, unemotional or unmotivated--especially when they then complain about not having money or being unhappy or being disorganized. I just don't have any understanding of this kind of thinking. I tend to GREATLY admire people who are disciplined, hard workers, those who have a passion for being productive and, generally, people who have their shit together. (There's that damn cussing again!)
  6. I have been known to trust too quickly, fall too hard, and love WAY too much. I know, too, though, that when balanced with a little less defensiveness, a bit more honesty and a tad more patience, these things are actually very admirable attributes.
Other than that...well, like I said, admitting it is the first step.
I feel better already.

1 comment:

Sonja said...

You're wrong about #3 (don't get defensive now). You're one of the best listeners I know.