Saturday, March 12, 2011

Thinking differently

Here's a thought: what if everyone stopped saying things like, "We're getting so old" and "Time goes by so quickly" and just started LOVING and ENJOYING each day and each season of life?

Time goes by at the same rate for all of us, and I am never quite sure why people say it goes so fast. Honestly, I think that saying how quickly time goes by, is really just a very bad habit. People SAY it, like it's the normal, acceptable thing to say.
If you want to slow time down, stop telling yourself (and others) how fast it goes by!

But I don't know if there is ANYTHING that bothers me more than someone--especially someone my age--saying, "Can you believe we're so old?" or "we're getting so old!!"
I truly can't speak for you, but I am planning to live another 40 or 50 years and this is the youngest I will ever be.
I actually feel better than I did 20 years ago, and, as far as I know, there is still only one alternative to getting older.

These comments, and my adversity to them, may be the main reason I probably will not attend my 30 year high school reunion this year.
I just don't want to hear how old you feel and how fast your life went by. Personally, I feel great and honestly feel like I've lived and enjoyed each season and minute of my life. It has not gone by quickly and I don't feel like I'm getting old.
I'm only 47...barely half way to the finish line.
I have a lot of years left to enjoy life...and I plan to enjoy each day of each one...very slowly.

I think the key to this thinking is to just stop saying how fast time flies by and just start loving each day of life.
And to keep in mind that though getting older is not an option, getting old definitely is.

OK, stepping down from the soap box.

2 comments:

PETE Di LALLO said...

Thanks so much for a well deserved kick in the butt...

Leah Mazur said...

AMEN SISTER!!!