Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Live and let go

I've just loaded up my trunk, and the entire backseat of my car, with load #6 for Goodwill. Actually, I hadn't intended on doing that tonight, but I went down to the garage to put a load in the washer and put the trash cans out...and I just kept going. The trunk was filled before the load of laundry was done.
With that momentum, and knowing that I'd be going to Goodwill tomorrow, I came back in the house and decided to do one more 'sweep' of the kitchen stuff.
That's what filled the backseat of my car.
I love letting go.
If I may say so, it actually feels damn good.
I am starting to realize that the key to letting go--for me anyway--is living in the present. If you can hold something in your hand and be truthful about whether or not this item is useful to you at this point in your life...then you'll be able to know if you should keep it or give it away. I am not keeping clothes that I might be able to wear if I lose 15 pounds. I'm not keeping the picnic basket that I've stored for 10 years--and never taken on a picnic!
Another example is the coffee thermoses that I have had in my kitchen cabinet for years. I have never used them. (OK, one night about five years ago I took Margaritas to the Mater Dei Homecoming game in one!) Why in the world would I still hold on to them? In case someday I might need them? Crazy. I also packed up a half dozen coffee mugs that I never use. Some are chipped, some are just too small for my liking and, bottom line, I am one person! A dozen large coffee cups remain--that should be plenty!
The best part of this whole process is that I have not yet missed one item that I have let go! NOTHING! I keep thinking I'll go to look for something and I'll have to say, "Dang, I gave that away."
Nope. In nearly three months of clearing out and cleaning up and 'minimalizing', I've yet to say those words. In fact, right now, I can't even tell you what is loaded in my car! STUFF. Excess! Things I just don't need and don't use in my present season of life.
I cannot begin to describe the actual physical feeling of relief and liberation and freedom that the this whole journey has brought to me! I actually FEEL lighter and breathe easier with every car load left at the Goodwill.
And I smile the whole way home.
Let me add that there is TRULY not one thing that--if I really needed it--I could not buy back again and Target or Wal Mart or TJ Maxx or online--tomorrow.

People have come into my house lately, look around and say, "What have you gotten rid of?"
Exactly! The house doesn't look empty, it just looks clean and bright and far less cluttered!
It looks simple. And peaceful. And light. And happy.
And that's precisely the look--and feel--I'm going for in this season of living.
Inside and out.

4 comments:

Zuzana said...

Loved this dear Julie, this is what I need to do.;)
I also have all this "stuff". Boxes and boxes and cabinets filed with stuff. I can completely relate to how liberating it must be to get rid of everything.;) Having no (or very little) possessions equals freedom.
xoxo

young-eclectic-encounters said...

This and your earlier post has given me lots to think about. I am currently re-decorating and trying to fit all my stuff in is proving a challenge. Thanks so much for sharing
Johnina

PETE Di LALLO said...

I sit here at my desk typing away and notice a stack of 14 books on my right, books I've read in the past few months...today I'm taking them to the Lake Forest library , except for a few that Allison will like to read...thanks Julie...now I have space for some more crap...

Leah Mazur said...

Ahh!! I feel lighter and clearer just reading your post. Keep it up and may you continue to feel liberated. What a great start to a new chapter. All my love!! xoxo