Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Turn yourself around...

Put your right foot forward and your left hand back.
Now place your right hand back and your left foot forward.
Left foot up, right foot back….
Now shake it all out...

Are we doing the Hokey Pokey?

Nope…it's just my new favorite hobby—YOGA! Seriously, if you’ve ever been to a Yoga class—you get this. It is one intentional move after another. Holding the pose. Breathing in. Breathing out. You are reminded to “feel the invisible cable that is pulling your head to the sky…” while putting this hand here, that foot there...etc.

Yeah, and if you haven’t ever been to a class…let me tell you that it’s a whole new world. Bending, stretching, standing on one leg, arms up, down, up on your toes, and on and on...it's kinda like a very organized game of Twister!

Each time I go, I can't help but watch the ‘new’ people. It’s always someone’s first time. And there is always one who loses their balance…and another who falls over...But it doesn’t take long.

Two weeks into it and I am able to do most of the positions/poses in the class. I can’t always HOLD them for as long as the instructor asks, but I sure do try. She asks us to breathe. To clear our mind. To feel the peace and joy of life. And I do.

It feels so good. It really works. For me anyway. I run around all day at work. My mind doesn't stop. And I don't think I've relaxed since 1981.

But I do now. Three or four times a week anyway. I’m now venturing into the 90 minute class and I go early to just lay there in the dark silence before it starts. I stretch, I breath, I (attempt to) clear my mind and I remind myself of how good life is.

Then I put my right hand in…I put my right hand out…

Yeah…that’s what it’s all about.










PS This is what I am hoping to look like very soon!
I think the last time I wore a bikini was ALSO in 1981!

3 comments:

Zuzana said...

I love the picture, there is something incredible tranquil about it.
I am sure you already look that way Julie.
Happy Easter!;)

PETE Di LALLO said...

You've got me semi-convinced to try yoga but with no intentions of ever wearing a Speedo...
I know...the family, the world, is thankful...

Shannon said...

yesssssssssssssssssssssss. do you go to the new bikram one in irvine? I LOVE JEFF!