Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Hardly working

These last few weeks have been a bit 'less active' in my area of business at the hotel. Often lately, as we head toward Summer, I am working just six hours and then leaving for the day. Of course it's only noon after I've worked six hours, which is quite lovely!
Most of these days, when I get home, I have been taking an hour or so to go outside, lay by the pool and read.

And it has been magnificent. Sheer bliss!
I never realized how enjoyable it is to sit down and do nothing. To relax, soak up the sun, catch up with John Grisham, close my eyes and drift away...
I appreciate this time so much.

Today, as I was leaving work around noon (again, because we are coming out of conference season, not because I necessarily want to go home after six hours...) the man working our security window said, "You're leaving already?"
I said, "Yep...time to go home and lay by the pool."
He answered (very bitter and sarcastically), "Must be nice!"

Now, if you know me at all, you must know that my defenses kick in immediately with comments like that.
I want to say,
"Are you kidding me?! REALLY?! 
Look Bub, I'm nearly 50 and I've been working constantly since I was 14 years old! I waited tables through two pregnancies and I've never called in sick ONE time in my life! For the last 35 years--all my life really--I've been taking care of people--taking care of everyone!  And all the while I was getting up at 4am to work full time, go to school, clean house, grocery shop, do laundry, make dinner...Seriously! 
I am one of the hardest working people you will ever know! 
And, my friend, just so you know...
I have never IN MY LIFE laid by a pool until this last couple of weeks! NEVER!"

Of course, all of that runs through my mind...
But I don't say that.


Nope. Instead, I smiled when he said, "Must be nice!"
And answered, very kindly,

"Indeed it is."


1 comment:

sprinkles said...

Wow, you really HAVE worked hard! Enjoy your time off, you deserve it!