Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Homeowner's Insurance

In an attempt to lower my monthly expenses, I have been calling insurance companies for rates on my car and home owner's insurance. The car was easy...it's four years old and thanks to a cute little gecko, I am going to save about $160 on my car insurance.
The home owner's seemed to throw the companies for a loop. The people kept asking me, "What is the value of the contents of your home?" To the first lady, I said, "I don't know, maybe $3,000?" She laughed out loud on the phone! She said that was impossible. So I hung up on her and called the next company. When asked the same question, I figured I would adjust as to not get chastised again and answered, "$5,000". The guy said, "No, you're not understanding. You need to walk around your house and add up the value of everything you own. Everything, including (here's the good part) your jewelry and your furs." This time I laughed out loud. I told him I would call him back. And I walked around my house...
My couch and chair were $900 at Levitz. The dining room table, coffee table and end table were a combined $350 at a consignment store. The couch in the TV room-$250 clearance at Robinson's May. The TV-from my Grandparent's nursing home room--I don't know--$100?
The DVD player was $24 at Target. My bed-$159 for the bed (IKEA) and $250 for the mattress. The dresser and nightstands a combined $150 (same consignment store.) Here's the funny part. I opened my jewelry box--and only one pair of earrings in there cost more than about $8. (Thank you Claire's) They were a gift on my 21st birthday. I don't wear any other jewelry. No furs. No art work besides my art.com finds. To my entire closet I gave a very generous total of $1000. It's three pair of jeans, about 20 tee shirts, a few sweaters and my Harrod's bags. My work suits are the only thing that brought up the total.
Honestly, it STILL barely added up to my original $3000 estimate. I called the guy back. I said, "OK--What is the lowest amount you are going to allow me to say?" He said, "$10,000"
Here's the deal--my home is awesome. It's EXACTLY what I want in every single way. But there's not many things in my home that have any monetary value. I have often joked that if a thief broke into my house, he'd be so disappointed, he'd turn around and leave. But the truth is...my home is full of treasures...MY treasures. My pictures, my old 45s, my Santa collection, my little plates and statues and knickknacks from all over Europe, my antique postcards, my tea cups, my Dodger bobble head dolls, my bowling trophy, my Bobby Sherman lunchbox...and all my books!
My valuables are invaluable! They are the stuff that have stories...all the stuff that makes me smile with good memories...all the stuff that couldn't be replaced for all the money in the world...MY stuff is priceless...
So I took the $10,000 insurance policy.
Heck, if I have to, I'll upgrade the TV and buy a new pair of running shoes.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

We are so the same when it comes to "fancy" things! I just looked in my jewelry box and found some old tarnished silver charms, a ring made out of string from Morgan (she made it when she was 5) and my "gorgeous" Mater Dei class ring! (I can't even get it on my pinkie finger but I still love it)!....I think the burglars would leave empty handed from my house too!!! XO

PETE Di LALLO said...

It's no surprise that almost all commenters you had 21/2 years ago are still reading you...you have some great friends and relatives...

BUM said...

The funny thing is that all your treasures are just your treasures....try to leave them to your kids in your will. So enjoy them every day. Those things are more valuable than you think.