Thursday, April 29, 2010

My Memorial

Most of 2005 was a struggle for me...and at times, it got so bad, I was pretty sure I was not going to live through it. I started to put together a "memorial" to be shown at my funeral. I know, I know...horrible thought, but HEY--there really were some pretty dark moments during that time. There are about 50 pictures in the memorial slide show and the song playing is "We may never pass this way again" by Seals and Crofts. (Here are just a few of the shots from the Memorial Montage) I have watched it at least a hundred times. Maybe more.
The AMAZING thing is that as I would watch it and "work on it"--add new pictures, change the order, change out pictures--I began to realize how happy I was in all the photographs! Every single one showed me smiling and having fun and enjoying life and living life with incredible people. Each time I watched it, I would be reminded of my deep friendships and my magnificent family, especially my fabulous children. I cried many times watching the memorial and was gradually reminded of how much I had to live for. I began to believe that the tough times would pass and life would, indeed, go on...and all these great times would not only continue--but multiply! Working on the memorial allowed me a glimpse of what my life was really like--full of happiness and loving people and GREAT times!
I still watch it once in a while and each time it ends I say the line from my favorite movie,
"You see Julie, you really have a wonderful life..."

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I actually really like this idea (but then again, I'm a planner just like you)! It really puts your life into perspective on what you've accomplished so far and what you still want to accomplish in the future!....And more importantly, you will realize that you have been surrounded by people that have loved and cherished you your entire life!!! XO

Sarah said...

That's actually a really interesting idea. Isn't it amzaing how the human spirit is able to find happiness even in the thoughtest times?

I am coming down at the end of June...we need to do dinner!