Thursday, April 22, 2010

Botanical Therapy

When I got to work today...these were on my desk.
All day long I wondered who they might be from and why they were left with no note and no explanation. I made up stories in my head of who might have brought them and who wanted to surprise me, treat me, make me smile. I was in a contemplative mood to begin with when I came in this morning--pensive, deep thinking--lots of stuff going on in my brain at 5:45 am.
I walked the gorgeous Montage grounds...very early and very cold...
still thinking about the flowers...and so many other things...
The air was brisk and the water looked magnificent. I took it all in as I tried to process my thoughts...and wondered about those flowers.
This bird just stood there for so long without moving. So did I. Both of us deep in thought.
I walked back up, taking the long way around the resort grounds to get to my job. My head full of thoughts and conversation that would have to be put away til later.
The cool thing was those flowers--waiting for me on my desk! All day, as I looked at them, I imagined that they were an amazingly thoughtful gift--delivered literally in the middle of night--from someone who cares for me and wanted to brighten my day. That made me smile. By the time my 8 hours was up, I didn't need to take the thoughts back out and re-process...the flowers had helped absorb the hurt and confusion I was feeling in the morning and reminded me of the amazing salvation that a simple gift can bring. As I left, I grabbed the flowers and brought them home to live with me...they are still making me smile tonight.
Truth is, the flowers were probably not for me at all. They were more than likely left there from a big dinner event the night before.
But don't tell the flowers...they were so happy to be there for me.

3 comments:

PETE Di LALLO said...

Because many people love you...

BUM said...

What a gentle story...those flowers made my day today.

Ann Flower said...

I am amazed to see the floral arrangement on your blog. It looks awesome. keep on posting.