Thursday, December 8, 2011

Infield of Dreams

For the last seven years, a large, (signed) photo of these four (amazing) baseball players has hung in my home. It was the VERY first item I bought once I was living on my own, and it's been the FIRST thing I have hung in all FOUR homes that I have lived in since. These are my guys--THE Dodgers! From left, above, Cey, Russell, Lopes and Garvey. Those four names come out of everyone's mouth in one word! They just go together...and those four (awesome) players hold the record for the longest running infield in baseball--ever.
When showing this photo in my home, I have always told people that these four (incredible) men made up the the Dodger infield for a record EIGHT years.
I have ALWAYS said this. Eight years.

Tonight, out of the (Dodger) blue, a friend asked me if I knew how long this fabulous infield had played together.
I quickly answered, "8 years..."
He said, "Close."
What?! I was stunned. I'd been saying 8 years for (nearly 8) YEARS!
I asked, "Um...seven?"
He said, "Nope, nine."
I have to be honest, I didn't think that was correct, and I kindly told him that I would have to look that up when I got home.

Here's the deal, I should know with this friend, who is practically a genius and has the most phenomenal memory of anyone I've ever known...that he would be right.
And sure enough...he's right.
I looked it up (the second I got home...) and I've been wrong all these years.
They played together for nine seasons...
Mea Culpa

The most important part of this story is that these four baseball players were absolutely amazing together--a team within a team--and to this day, they hold what just might be the most durable of all baseball records ever.
Heck, maybe some other four guys might beat EIGHT years
...but never nine.

1 comment:

md said...

That fabulous foursome did teach us the meaning of teamwork. They were amazing to watch all those years till they reached their zenith in 1981 by winning the world series. Some friendships never last that long. In an environment shaped by the almighty dollar it is so nice to remember that these guys stayed together with the singular goal of winning for Los Angeles. That being said, "Go Angels!" 138