Friday, December 2, 2011

Gift of the Magi...kind of

When I was about 7 years old, my dad took me shopping to buy my Christmas presents. I remember picking out gifts for everyone in my family and buying a very special gift for my sister, Gina--a gift that I knew she would really like--but really, I wanted it for myself.
When we got home, my dad helped me wrap the gifts in the garage, so none of the sisters would see them. The next night, he took Gina to do the same shopping. And, again, when they got home, they wrapped the gifts in the garage and put them all under the tree with the others.
Immediately I saw that Gina's gift for me was much bigger than the gift I had bought for her. It was a GIANT box and I truly had no idea what it could be. I thought maybe she would like her own LARGE gift better than the very small gift I bought her...and that maybe she'd let me keep my own gift!
Come Christmas morning, we began opening our presents (a very long process for DiLallos who open only ONE gift at a time--that's another story!) When Gina unwrapped my gift she was so excited! She loved it so much and I was so glad that she did! She quickly handed me my gift from her--the large box--and I began to unwrap it.
Imagine my surprise when it was the exact same gift that I had given her...
A tiny little Kiddle in a coke bottle!

Only recently have I realized how sweet my dad was for wrapping the gift that way. Neither Gina nor myself knew until Christmas morning that we had given each other the same gift...
And the one that we both really wanted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Christmas gift giving (and opening) is some of our favorite memories, We're very blessed!!!