Friday, November 18, 2011

It's a Wonderful Life...

Tomorrow, November 19th, is my half birthday....
Yep, that makes me 48 ½, but more importantly, it begins the official countdown to a HUGE milestone. Though it seems impossible (and, yes, I look remarkable) a year and a half from tomorrow, I will be 50 years old.

A couple of years ago, I had written a long 'wish list' of 50 things to do before I turned 50. Interestingly I was thinking at this point, 18 months from the big day, instead of making a(nother) list of all the things I WISH I could do, I’d take a little time to write down all the INCREDIBLY amazing things I have already done! As I began to think of all the fabulous things I've accomplished, the many incredible places I've been and the phenomenal amount of spectacular memories I've already experienced, really...how could I wish for anything more? I am so grateful that my 48 years (especially the last SEVEN!) have been PACKED with so much adventure and excitement and absolutely FILLED with unfathomable HAPPINESS!
Believe me, I know...I'm the luckiest girl in the world.
Here's just a SAMPLING of the magnificent joys I've experienced on this journey:
1. I’ve had two healthy, beautiful babies--two great children and have seen both of them graduate college, travel the world and become amazing, independent, happy, productive adults!
2. I’ve been to Kenya, Africa. I spent two weeks on a missions trip with my daughter…and even LEFT her there to continue blessing others through her work.
3. I’ve been on a gondola through the canals of Venice, Italy. I sang, “O sole mio” as I cried tears of joy as I soaked up the city and drank in the beauty!
4. I’ve seen the top of the Matterhorn in Zermatt, Switzerland…from a helicopter! I toured the Swiss Alps on the Gornergrat…talk about beauty!
5. I’ve been to the top of the Eiffel tower…three times. I actually had dinner one night at the restaurant on the second level…sheer joy!
6. I toured through Rome…twice. I have been to the Vatican, I’ve seen the Pope! I experienced the city! I met the people and they are LOVELY! I ate gelato, canolis, pasta, BREAD and drank heavenly wines! (When in Rome…)
7. I’ve been to the top of the World Trade Center. And I’ve stood at Ground Zero.
8. I’ve been to Yankee Stadium. Oh, BOTH Yankee Stadiums!
9. I’ve been to the Macy’s Day Parade on the ONE time in 50 years that it SNOWED on the parade. It was cold…and absolutely PHENOMENAL!
10. I’ve spend DAYS in Central Park, wandering the streets of NYC, been to dozens of plays on Broadway. I’ve eaten at the Carnegie Deli and Dallas Bar b que…and had brunch at The Plaza Hotel.
11. I've been able to actually BE in all of my own photographs now! I have no problem asking a friend--or even stopping a stranger--to take my picture so that I can be IN it! The last seven years have been very well chronicled, photographically, and it is well documented that I have had a really good time!
12. I have become a pretty good writer...and I love doing it! I have created/put together/written over 3,000 blog posts in my five years of blogging now. It's something I look forward to every single day!
13. I’ve landed the dream job of a lifetime and am able to use my gifts and talents and make a living doing it at a gorgeous beach side resort!
14. I’ve bought and owned my own home.
15. I’ve attended a Mozart concert…in Vienna.
16. I wrote my blog from Prague.
17. I toured the Royal Palace in Budapest
18. I’ve been on an African Safari
19. I’ve seen Mount Rushmore
20. I’ve been to the Crown of the Statue of Liberty
21. I’ve been inside the White House
22. I’ve been to Westminster Abbey
23. I’ve had lunch (and shopped a little) at Harrod’s of London
24. I’ve been on the ‘chunnel’ between London and Paris
25. I’ve been to the Palace of Versailles
26. I’ve been on the Amstel River in Amsterdam
27. I’ve seen the Red Light District in Amsterdam
28. I’ve been in a working windmill in the Netherlands
29. I’ve had a Belgian Waffle in Belgium
30. I’ve been to Camelback Ranch—the Dodgers’ Spring Training Facility in Phoenix—every single year since it opened. And I’m going again!
31. I’ve seen Michelangelo’s David. Twice.
32. I’ve been inside the Duomo in Florence, Italy. Twice.
33. I’ve been at a ritual goat slaying in Kenya. Don't knock it, it was awesome.
34. I was at the game when the Dodgers sweep the Cubs to get to the NLCS.
35. I’ve sat behind home plate for a Dodgers game…at four different stadiums. (Dodgers, Angels, Padres and Rockies!) I've met many baseball players and they make my heart beat every time!
36. I’ve flown FIRST CLASS to Paris! (One of the greatest JOYS ever, right Lu?)
37. I was in Germany for the last night of the World Cup!
38. I have been on a Rhine River cruise
39. I’ve had Gruyere cheese in Gruyere, Switzerland
40. I’ve been to the Cologne Cathedral (and the Starbucks behind it!)
41. I’ve been to the Flagship Starbucks…and the Flagship Nordstrom…
42. I’ve been to tea at the Empress Hotel (and visited Miniature World) in Victoria, British Columbia
43. I was Room Mother in my kids' classrooms almost every year! I was Secretary of the Booster's for Allison's Show Choir, Team Mom year after year for Zac's little league team and, if I may say so, I was the best mom ever. (Well, close!)
44. I am Aunt JuJu to six nieces and and six nephews and I LOVE to spend time and have fun with every single one of them!
45. I have GREAT, amazing, LONG-TIME friendships with people who know (and love!) the real me!
46. I have GREAT, amazing, incredible friendships, that are NEW and exciting with people who REALLY know (and really love!) the real me!
47. I'm part owner of two beautiful Race Horses and finally have an exciting new hobby to LIVE and LOVE!
48. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Communications which took me 17 years to earn. (Worth every minute!)
49. I have a love for life, a passion for living, a true JOY in being happy and helping others STAY happy! (I no longer try to MAKE anyone happy...I finally realized...it's impossible!)
50. I have an almost indescribable peace of mind at this point of my life. Everything is just perfect. I'm absolutely content and completely satisfied with where I've been and what I've accomplished. I also have a curious excitement for the future! I feel great emotionally and, physically, I am healthier than I've ever been--ever. I am happy. I feel pretty and smart!
And I know that I am loved.
You know that I could go on...life is beautiful and I am so grateful...the last 48 1/2 years have been good to me. The next year and a half should be exciting and eventful. After that...look out world!
Julie Hibbard is just getting started.

1 comment:

md said...

Wow! You have lived your life more than anyone else I know. I believe you when you say there is more to come. You are absolutely adventurous. You are my hero. 138