Thursday, February 26, 2009

Routine play at home

I rarely use my front door. I am blessed to have an attached garage that I am able to drive right into, put the door down and walk directly into my home.
My front door is on the far opposite side of the house--and down two flights of stairs! I often even have guests come through the garage--it faces the guest parking lot--and it's just a whole lot easier.
But, every single night--without fail--at some point in the evening, I trek down to that door-- 'to check the front porch.'
(That is my doormat by the way!)
I turn on the porch light, unchain the front door and slowly open it up. I let out a little sigh as I pick up the realtor notepads and house cleaner's fliers and giant pink donation bags that accumulate out there. I check the plants to see if they need watering. I pick up the sticks and rocks and stray branches on the walk.
But here's the deal...
I really go down there each night with the HOPE that there is something amazing out there for me. A special package, a bouquet of flowers, a surprise gift...or, well...
I go to see if, perhaps, just maybe...someone might be out there waiting for me.
I know! Ridiculous, right? Have I just seen way too many movies?!

I'm not sure exactly what it is I'm looking for...
But I go down in hopes of finding it.
Every single night.

3 comments:

Zuzana said...

Ah Julie, I SO GET THIS!;))
Please do not ever change.;))
I sincerely wish for you that one day something (or someone) will be waiting there.;))

Eliane said...

I think it's great! Stay curious...you never know one day a kind & good looking man might be standing there holding some Starbucks coffee.
Heck! It has happened in the past. Keep on dreaming girl!

Sarah said...

WHERE did you get that door mat? I know a couple of people who need one...including me.