Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Too busy?...or just too lazy?

The older I get, the more I understand what "busy" means. I've worked full time most of my life, raised a family, volunteered in ministry, been involved in the community...cleaned my own home, did laundry, made dinner every night...and even went to college for 17 years.
Interestingly, I don't think I've ever considered myself "busy." I have a lot of interests and keep active and travel as much as I can...
but I'd never tell you I'm too busy to see you. 
If I want to see you, believe me, I will.
Busyness is the excuse we use for not creating the life we want. It's an acceptable form of distraction and self-abuse. You are NOT too busy to do ANYTHING that you really want to do.

And, I know this for sure...if you want to see me...you'll make the time to do so. If you don't...well, you'll tell me you're busy. Even if that's sitting watching TV...and waiting for life to happen!
Lately I've had a few people write me through Facebook and say, "I'd love to get together with you!" or "Let's meet and catch up!"
I ALWAYS write back--immediately--, "Great! How about this Tuesday? Breakfast, lunch, coffee, ice cream? You name it!"
Nine times out of 10 the person will write back, "Oh, I'm busy on Tuesday. But I'll give you a call!"
Really? All day? I'll meet you at 7 am or 7 pm! I'll meet you in YOUR neighborhood. Nope. That's not it.
Guess what? They don't really want to get together. They don't REALLY want to do anything but complain about being busy. It's just something we say these days, isn't it? Seriously, I don't really ever feel busy! Productive? yes! Busy? No!

Today I had lunch with my mother and father in law and my parents. I made the plan a couple of weeks ago via email...'we're meeting at this time at this place'...and, amazingly...we all were able to be together for a very enjoyable birthday lunch.
I'm not sure if you agree, but it seems to me, those who are always "busy" really do a whole lot of nothing. Those who have a lot to do seem to get the most done. And don't complain about it.

I'm not too busy. I work five days a week, but I'm always off by 3pm. And I'm off two full days every week. I get everything done that I need to get done.
Including seeing every single person I really want to see.

You're never too busy to do what you really want to do.
Stop saying you're busy and get busy living life!

"Beware the barrenness of a busy life..." Socrates


No comments: