Monday, May 21, 2012

100% debt free...

I just made my very last payment on my American Express.
The full amount.
It is finished.
Paid. Done.
Balance...ZERO!

That was my very last credit card balance.
My very last debt...

Today, I can tell you what I have longed to shout to the world for a very long time:
I AM COMPLETELY DEBT FREE!

I have paid off every single debt I had.
Every single credit card, every loan, every payment...
Yep, it is finished, alright.

My home is mine, free and clear.
My car is mine, free and clear.
I do not owe ANYONE any money.
I have ZERO debt!
How incredible is that?!

I must say, as I sit here in my amazing (and beautiful) FREE home, life feels so good! I am exhaling!
And tears are running down my face as I remember people telling me I'd never be able to be in a home again--much less OWN one outright!

Where there's a will, there's a way!

How did I do it?
Five easy steps:
1. Make it a GOAL, QUEST, DESIRE--A GAME!--to to pay off debt! And make it happen!
2. Stop spending money.Yes, it's that easy! Stop buying things!!
3. Eat at home. Make your coffee at home. Have people over rather than go out! (So easy and SO fun!) SELL THINGS!! Work overtime! Make money...but be ULTRA frugal in spending it!
4. Turn off the cable. Turn off the heater. Put on a sweater and read a book instead! My utility bills now run in the single digits! And I've read more books this year than in the last five years combined! It's a win-win!
5. Realize that COST = what you have to give up in order to get something.
(See? I WAS listening that day in Econ 101!) Beyond the money--it costs you TIME to take care of things. It costs you SLEEP, worrying about things. It costs you PEACE OF MIND, being sure everything is clean and maintained and preserved and STORED somewhere! Do yourself a favor and STOP acquiring STUFF! Do yourself a BIGGER favor and start giving it all away.
Less is more...in MANY more ways than one.

And then make BIG payments--FREQUENT payments...EXTRA payments...on your debt!
Honestly, it feels SO good!! 

Mostly...
It feels so good to be free! I wanted to sit back and, at 49 years old, enjoy life a whole lot more. Nothing to worry about...nothing to take care of...

I made it my goal to create a simple, easy, enjoyable and totally debt-free life.
And I am there.

I have to say, the last time I felt this much of an accomplishment, was just about 12 years ago...
I was graduating college...at age 37.
Just like that day, this is something that I have worked a lifetime to achieve.
And the JOY I feel now, the PEACE I have in my world today...well it absolutely beats the high of any purchase I've ever made...

And, just like that day, (and, pardon my Japanese...)
it feels fucking fantastic!

5 comments:

Josh Treece said...

WOO HOO!!! Congrats, Julie! I paid off the last of mine in January and it feels GREAT! Good JOB!

md said...

I am very proud to have you as a mentor. You are indeed a beacon of sanity in this land of ultimate consumerism. My goal is to be financially independent, I will start by cutting down on many things. Thank you. 138

sprinkles said...

Congrats to you!

I can't wait until the day I am finally debt free! It'll be awhile though as I'm busy racking up the student loans.

Debt Free League said...

Being debt free can be one of the great achievements for a person.I wonder and definitely wish that you are now enjoying full peace of mind.

Kelly said...

What about that 20 bucks you owe me???...........(LOL)