Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Frugally yours truly

I know it's silly...but I had to share my most recent Edison bill with you.
Yep. Less than eight bucks.

I seriously can't stand spending money on utilities so I have a running game that I play with myself where I try to get my water, gas and electric bills down lower and lower each month! I take shorter showers and hold off until I have a full load of laundry in order to keep the water bill down. I wear a sweatshirt and socks and put another blanket on my bed rather than turn on the heater to keep the gas bill low. I wash in cold water, line dry my laundry, use the ceiling fans instead of the air conditioner, AND, as my dad used to tell us when we were little kids...I 'turn the lights off in rooms that I'm not using!' (He used to say, "Who do you think I am, Mr Edison?")

So what do I win?
A seven dollar and 80 cent electric bill.
And to me, that's quite a prize.
I'm so good at this game!

1 comment:

Dongo said...

Julie,

Congratulations! That is actually amazing!

Like you, I am trying to reduce my utilities. When I kicked out my sons, my electric bill went from ~$250/mo. to a steady $55/mo. and I thought I was doing great...I bow down!

BTW: I'm a huge fan of timers for interior lights--they keep the house cheerful, but are only one when needed.