Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Seven WONDERFUL years!

This Thursday, January 12th, will mark seven years of living on my own.
Lucky Seven! The Magnificent Seven!
Seriously, the best seven years I've ever had.


Here are seven things that I have learned in the last seven years.
  1. I am really smart. I have learned how to balance a checkbook, manage my IRAs, buy insurance, take care of taxes and I've learned how to purchase and sell a home. I take care of my bills--including registering my car (ask me about that one...), maintain my home and my car and know how to fix just about anything. Yep, I'm pretty sure I have always been very smart.
  2. Living simply is SO enjoyable. I have come to the realization that life is very easy when you have less to take care of, less to pay for, less to store, less to worry about. And nothing to hinder your joy. Not only do I have fewer possessions now, I have fewer obligations, fewer duties, and fewer restraints on my time and money. And much much MUCH more peace.
  3. I love meat. Oh yeah, I f*cking love meat! I love bacon! And a big juicy steak! How about a hamburger with cheese and bacon?! And, lamb chops and pork chops! And Breakfast Jacks and sausage and RIBS--oh yeah--pork ribs and beef ribs--Yep, I love meat! And, thanks to Dr. Atkins (God rest his meat-loving soul) I've been able to stay at 130 pounds while enjoying every bite!
  4. I love alcoholic beverages. Having spent the previous nearly 18 years DRY, 'on the wagon'...not drinking!--I am happy to say that I have been able to make up for lost time. Not only that, I've enjoyed a Stella Artois in Belgium, delighted in a glass of champagne on the Eiffel Tower and quite literally (and quite joyfully!) drank my way through France and Italy on a wine tasting tour! I've learned to LOVE Tequila, know how to order a martini, and can't believe how much better a baseball game is with an ice cold one in your hand.
  5. I really enjoy living alone. I never lived one minute on my own until I was nearly 42 years old--actually, I never even had my own room until seven years ago! And, honestly, I have not had one minute of lonely and have never been bored. I fill every single minute of my time with a job that I love so much, my beautiful home that I get to fix up, my blog that could actually use a little attention, reading, watching movies...and, of course, spending time with my amazing, incredible, life-loving friends! (Though, I have to add, at this point, I am very much looking forward to happily NOT living alone one of these days...)
  6. It was time to find a hobby. Being the tremendous animal fan that I am (not!), I have surprised everyone (including myself) with the incredible joy I have found in (partially) owning race horses. I have been able to make weekly trips to see Golden Mary and Sweet Juju for MONTHS now...sometimes two or three visits in a week! (If only Santa Anita was closer!) I have spent much of my time talking horses, learning about and become familiar with horses and horse racing and becoming part of the great big world of excitement that comes with it! More than anything else, I have fallen in love with those fabulous horses who now know my voice, cover me with kisses and make me feel so good. Who knew?
  7. LIFE IS GOOD! And fun! And rewarding! And fulfilling! And joy-FILLED! And it keeps getting better! I LOOK good and FEEL good! And, YES, the grass IS greener. And fuller and softer--and I LOVE rolling around in it! There's a great big, giant whole AMAZING world out there to enjoy and I'm LOVING and LEARNING and LAUGHING and SMILING and EATING and DRINKING--ENJOYING and REVELING--my way through it--every single day!

Yep, it's my SEVEN YEAR anniversary...

I think I'll get myself a plate.

3 comments:

carrie d. said...

Amen!
Mostly to #4. ;)

md said...

You forgot to add that you are also very funny! 138

Dongo said...

Congratulations!