Thursday, January 27, 2011

Nothing nothing...absolutely nothing...

One of my unwritten New Year's Resolutions is to not buy ANYTHING this year. NOTHING.
Now, obviously I have to buy groceries and toiletries, but I have made a pact with myself to not buy anything else...no clothes, books, DVDs, trinkets, purses, shoes...NOTHING!
Simplicity is the name of the game.
Certainly a good portion of this resolution has come at the heels of knowing I will be living in 600 square feet very soon. But, I swear, it happened late last year--the realization that there was NOTHING I wanted. NOTHING I needed. Call it a mid life crisis, but NOTHING turns me on anymore! NOTHING.
Been there, done that. Had the purses, the cars, the houses, Santas, Bobbleheads, books and knick knacks galore!
Don't need it anymore. I don't want it anymore.
I want simple. And clean. And containable.
In 600 square feet.
Truth is, even if I NEVER bought another item over my lifetime, my home is already BURSTING at the seams with too much STUFF.
It's gotta go! I will have no where to keep it.
Better yet, there is no reason to keep it. Simplify.
Gratefully, so far anyway, I haven't had a hard time parting with anything.
And I am loving giving it away.
Here's the bottom line: there is NOTHING that is not replaceable if I decided I HAD to have it again. Honestly, there is NOTHING that is 'worth' something anymore either! I've looked up dozens of items on eBay lately (just in case!)--sorry, everyone already has one and obviously, they're trying to sell THEIRS!
I have already received joy from all the STUFF in my home.
It's time to pass that joy to someone else.
No backs!

I will not buy much this year. I will wear the clothes that are in my closet and read the books that are on my shelves. I will continue to give things away and wish everything well.

NOTHING feels better than clean and orderly.
Well, except good ol' SIMPLICITY.

2 comments:

Zuzana said...

What a great post dear Julie. I share these sentiments, at least partly, with you.
I too have recently been overcome of an urge to simplify. My basement is stacked with boxes of stuff and recently this has become very much burden to me. I want to get rid of it. ALL OF IT. I call it my big project.;)
However, unlike you, I simply can not refrain from buying stuff; cloths particularly. Perhaps I will reach that stage a bit later than you.;))
xoxo

PETE Di LALLO said...

What a splendid idea...
get rid of almost everything...
everything?...well, almost...
you can borrow books for years and never have to buy one, well, almost never...
you can borrow DVD's too...
good luck with it all...I know you can and will do it...the faster the better, right?