Saturday, April 18, 2015

Nothing new for New Years...

I started 2011 with my home in foreclosure and spent the first several months of the year digging out from under. From under tremendous pressure, from under unmanageable debt and MOSTLY from under years and years of clutter--and way too much STUFF.
There had been nearly a year of stress and frustration before that as I tried desperately to refinance my home. Hundreds of thousands of dollars had literally disappeared into a mortgage that was so top heavy, it made me physically ache. But a HUGE part of my burden was 1500 square feet of STUFF--47 years worth of THINGS that, along with the house, were going to have to go. Closets full of clothes and dressers full of more clothes. A two car garage that held but one car--and half a dozen rhino racks of MORE 'stuff', albeit highly organized...it was just SO MUCH!

Gratefully, I was able to get rid of the mortgage, along with half a million dollars worth of debt. Sure, $300,000 was gone too, but so was the stress and frustration. And, I began three months of total clean up, selling, giving and THROWING away at LEAST two thirds of my STUFF. Every trip to the Goodwill made me feel better, lighter, freer! And I stopped BUYING more stuff! I had a new perspective on life and what I really NEEDED in my world! And to this day--I promise you--there is NOTHING that I miss. NOTHING that I wish I still had. I honestly couldn't even tell you what I gave away. It was just so much STUFF.

And today, I feel like a new woman.
One year later, I live in an incredibly clutter-free world. Honestly, in no way does my home look sparse or empty...nope, just clean and bright and light!
And it feels good here. Always!
Believe me, I have everything in the world I could possibly need.

So when it comes to thinking of New Year's Resolutions...I have only one.
One big one.
I want to go a year--all of 2012--without buying anything.
Obviously, this does not mean creamer or coffee or toilet paper or soap. I will have to purchase groceries and gasoline and toiletries, as necessary, of course.
What it DOES mean is that I do not need one more thing--I don't need any more stuff. Not one more item of clothing. Not another purse. Not another pair of shoes or even a pair of socks. I do not need another book, another DVD, or any more furniture. I certainly don't need another decoration, kitchen item or knick knack.
It comes back to me asking, What do I really NEED?!
Honestly, at my age and stage of life, I'm SO content and OH so happy with everything-- it's still FAR more than I will ever need.

So that's my resolution.
Nothing new for 2012.
I'll be able to pay off my debt (i.e. pay for the things I already HAVE) and relax and be grateful in my calm, clutter FREE, beauty-FULL home.

No comments: